Friday, January 30, 2009

Not Rocket Science

or How to Knit Legwarmers

Use Worsted weight yarn and whatever size needles you usually use with worsted. Better yet, use needles one size smaller.

Cast on 48 stitches and join to work in the round.

Work in k2, p2 rib, changing colors as you fancy (or as the yarn supply dictates) until they are long enough.

Bind off loosely.

If you want to make these for a child, cast on 36 sts and proceed as above.

Edited to add: further discussion/elaboration here, here and here.








Not fancy, but functional. This one is about 3/4 done.











The Mix It Up socks are 100 per cent done. I was working on these at my regular Thurs night group last week and happened to mention that this was not self striping yarn. For some reason, this impressed two of the others beyond measure. I don't get it. One of them was working on lace, and the other has made a sweater with stripes. Maybe they were just being polite.



***************

Category #14 in the life destash project is "Things You Can Palm Off on Others".

Here are some nice pieces of cotton fabric, not big enough for actual garments, but would be good for cute crafty projects.






I do not sew worth beans, but I know some people who do. If any of these people happen to show up at Last Saturday Knitting, and happen to want any of this, I'll be hauling it along. Just sayin'.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OOOH Fabric!!!

(What, there was knitting in that post, too?)

Oooh, she's giving away fabric!

DIBS!!

magnusmog said...

I was knitting a legwarmer today too!
It's a lot bigger than yours
( handspun and Rowan felted tweed and 4mm ) because I wanted it long and slouchy.

Only one more to go - I have to finish them before Monday, there's snow forecast!

And fabric? Wow, I'm learning to do carzy patchwork and there's a fear that I could get a fabric mountain to rival wool hill:)

smariek said...

I don't sew either. I'm thinking purse liners. Hope you don't get bulldozed by the quilters. :-D

I keep associating legwarmers with the 80s, and really have no desire to wear them. However on some of these colder days I could really use them to keep the draft from going up my pant leg. I actually had to dig out (store bought) knee-high wool socks last week because it was so cold in the house (and I don't like turning on the heater when it's just me in the house).

Now that I've caught the sock knitting bug, perhaps I should knit some knee-high socks!

smariek said...

Forgot to mention that I really like how you used a different color for the heel/toe.