Monday, February 02, 2009

Dover does it again.

Amazing! Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting is going to be republished. I really love this book. The technical "how to" information is really helpful. The use of color is inspiring. There are lots of pattern charts. Yay! And the new release is being put out by good old Dover Books, so it is reasonably priced (Amazon is taking pre-orders for less than $20). Of course this shoots the investment value of my copy all to hell, but I don't care. I love to see a worthy book back in print.

********

I'm still working away on (decidedly not Fair Isle) legwarmers. I've finished one adult and one child size pair, and I'm working on a second adult set. These will be going to a service project. They are also a good way to put some of my odd balls of yarn to good use.

********

I'm mulling over possibilities for knitting a cardigan vest. I have some Lamb's Pride Superwash that I bought way last fall at The Sow's Ear.




It's the purple stuff over on the left, and I have eight balls, so that should be enough. Now what to do with it exactly? I'm thinking some sort of textured stitch, or maybe some cables somewhere. Hmmmmm.

5 comments:

CatBookMom said...

OMG - She Who Should Not Be Named is going to be back in print? I might have to buy a copy of the reprint, just in case I'm ever overcome by the urge to knit that much fair isle. ;)

About the legwarmers, how long is enough? And what about those of us with queenly calves - how many stitches? Any ideas?

The purple is lovely!

In a totally random coincidence my verification word is

'alises' = Alice's LOL!

smariek said...

Mmm...purple. Whatever you make will look great. If it's an easy vest pattern, I might have to give it a try. (I need to make Mom a vest this year)

Anonymous said...

That book is already on my Amazon wish list. Maybe by the time it comes out I will be ready for colorwork :-)

YarnThrower said...

Thank you for the head's up regarding the book! I don't think I've ever seen that one...

Good luck with your cardigan vest! I always enjoy seeing your "originals"!

magnusmog said...

I'd love to see a vest too - I have some handspun just waiting to be knitted......