Sunday, June 10, 2007

Graffiti Knitting

This is one of the things I've never done, and probably never will. And yet, despite all of the valid reasons for not doing it, I find the idea appealing in a cheerfully anarchic way. I like the idea of unexpected color/texture surprising people, and maybe causing them to look at what's been in front of them all the time in a new way. I like the element of playfulness and fun. All the examples I've found have been in urban settings. What I'd like to do out here in the country is hang knitted pieces on barbed wire fences along the road - sort of Burma Shave meets Christo. Quilts on clotheslines look great, why not knitting on fences? Of course, I'm not really going to do this. Not really. But I'd like to.


I did do a little graffiti filing once, long ago, in a boring job where I was stuck in a file room surrounded by shelves of massive (I mean 3 inch thick) engineering files. It was one of those jobs where you were supposed to look busy/businesslike even when there was absolutely nothing to do. So I occupied my vacant time by writing out bits of poetry from memory and slipping them into the files. No one ever mentioned coming across them, but I was only there a year.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Cindy G. guerrilla poet! I love it!

Cindy G said...

*G* masquerading as a solid citizen