Sunday, June 03, 2007

Even If Think You Don't Like Sauerkraut




You might like this. It's tangy sweet, kind of crispy crunchy, and you know that if I make it it's got to be easy.

Sauerkraut Salad

Drain a can of sauerkraut (No. 2 1/2), saving the juice.

Chop up:

1 c. green pepper

1 c. celery

1/2 c. onion (I like regular, not the supersweet, but whatever)

Drain one of those little teeny jars of pimentos (this time throw away the juice).

Put the kraut and other veggies in a bowl and toss them around a bit.

In a non-aluminum pan, mix the sauerkraut juice with 1/2 c. vinegar and 1 c. sugar and bring it to a boil. Pour this over the veggies and toss some more. Let it chill in the fridge at least a couple of hours (overnight is even better).



This came from a church cookbook (Sutter Creek UMC), so you know it just about has to be good.

*************





And speaking of Selbuvotter (as I was a few posts back) a/k/a Norwegian Mittens, Hege has posted charts for some tradition patterns. If you haven't yet tackled stranded color knitting yet, fairisleknitting has a good tutorial, with lots of links to further resources.










7 comments:

WildPurl said...

Thank you for the link, I love Selbu votter and I am determined to make some Norwegian mittens this wintr. The recipe looks delicious too!

Angie said...

Thanks for the interesting recipe. I'm a sauerkraut fan and this sounds like a yummy recipe. Thanks also for the links. I haven't tackled two-stranded knitting yet but I would like to try.

Elizabeth said...

I love sauerkraut, but that recipe sounds even better.

Anonymous said...

I love sauerkraut, and that recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Hege said...

I also like sauerkraut! Yummy. Your cardigan and mittens in your previous post are great.

Laurie said...

Hello! I love sauerkraut, too. I will have to try this salad. We have guests coming next week from Latvia and sauerkraut is something they love to eat over there. Thanks for sharing!

Cindy G said...

It's official: Sauerkraut rules!