Thursday, September 28, 2006

WWMPD

By the umpteenth repeat of the shawl edging pattern, I have it half memorized. This is a dangerous place to be. It is the place where your mind can wander just a little bit, start to think of what you need to get done tomorrow, or roll around blog ideas, or half compose a letter to some idiot in government, when all of a sudden, Oops! missed a yarn over two rows back.

It's not a biggie. It's not going to be all that noticeable, really, now is it? And besides, I have already decided that this version of the shawl is really just a first draft...

I am not by nature a "detail oriented" person. I like to look at the big picture. (Which might help explain why my stint in the banking world was not an overwhelming success. Would you be willing to settle for a general overview of your account balance? No? You want specifics?)

So this is where I have to grit my teeth and ask myself the hard, fundamental question: "What Would Mouse Potato Do?"

Mouse is a knitting mentor par excellence over on the About.com knitting forum. She is a cheerleader, able teacher, source of unending knitting information, and I believe a perfectionist in regards to her own work. Sigh! It seems she has now become sort of my knitting conscience.

OK Mouse-who-now-lives-in-my-head. Tink, tink, tink, tink, tink.....

1 comment:

CatBookMom said...

Hear, hear! WWMPD? Great concept! Our very own Fiber Siren and Enabler Extraordinaire. IMO we'd be a lot less competent and confident as knitters if not for Mouse's tutelage. I think you've come up with the perfect title for the book we keep nagging her to write!