Thursday, August 31, 2006

Soothing Razor Shell

Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? But seriously, as I was working on the borders for the Simple Lace Scarf, I found that Razor Shell (6 stitch version) is an extremely soothing stitch to work. It has a relaxing, rhythmic quality, like rocking away in a rocking chair. It's so basic that your thoughts can wander a bit, but has enough going on that it doesn't get totally boring. Only two pattern rows, and one of them is mostly purl, so you can't go very far astray.

So, one thing leading to another, I decided to use up a bit of that sock yarn I mentioned. How about a nice little scarf to drape around my neck in the evenings once the weather really gets cool?

I started with some Kroy in a self patterning random stripe. Now, I am ambivalent at best about working lace in variegated yarn. The color patterning is so prone to overpower the stitch structure. Why go to all that work, yarn-overing and decreasing, only to have it disappear in pools, streaks and swirls of color? But 1) this stitch is not all that much work, and 2) the strong verticals of the stitch pattern might be able to hold their own against the horizontals of the color variation. We'll see how it goes...

No comments: