Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Some Thumb Thoughts from Tracy

TracyKM left a comment that I thought was worth repeating

"I used to knit the thumbs first, but found that they were always too short since it was too easy to fiddle with the mitt to make the thumb 'fit' when trying it on, LOL.

I always make gusset style thumbs, it just seems more logical to me. Lately, I've started adding more length between the cuff and starting the increases, and also adding short rows IN the gusset to give more length to it. The mitts are feeling great, no riding up of the cuff when I use my thumbs, no sliding up of the mitts, they seem more anchored on my hands."

I think the short row idea is rather brilliant. Thanks Tracy!

2 comments:

YarnThrower said...

Who knew there were so many options for knitting a thumb?

TracyKM said...

I have been wearing my mitts that I made for myself with the extra short rows (the others were gifts), and I have to say, I LOVE them. The cuff doesn't pull up and out of my coat on that side, the mitt doesn't slide up, it's well anchored on my hand. Great for my 'active life' mitts. Perhaps not needed for the 'pretty' mitts, LOL.
I used to make quite a "fourchette" in the thumb/body join, picking up 4 sts and gradually decreasing them, but I didn't see much of a benefit. I hope to post on my blog my new favourite mitts, tomorrow :)