Friday, December 11, 2009

Well Finally

The blue, mesh-y scarf was one of those projects that seemed endless. And I'm kind of "meh" about the results.


I like the pattern stitch, but the garter stitch borders are sloppy. It might have helped if I had used a slip stitch at each edge. But part of it is gauge related. I used a large needle to get a more open effect in the middle, but that gave a looser gauge in the edges than I like. Would a different edge stitch have looked nicer, maybe seed stitch? I don't know. Suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie Modesitt gives instruction on a double-knit edge that is quite tidy and attractive. Don't know if that would have worked, but it is a nice thing to know about.

I like the scarf, though!

Annie Pazoo said...

Whoa, ma'am. If you switch gear for garter, and differential for stitch, and maybe replace needle with frame, and then add some about the baked-on finish instead of the hand-feel of a yarn, it's one of Rick's posts on bike building! I love the way you both can explain and show both the technical and artsy sides of your respective crafts so well, and I LOVE our creatively geeky family! And by the way, that scarf is pretty darn purdy, too.

YarnThrower said...

Overall, I think the scarf looks really nice! I like the lace pattern, and I think the garter stitch works okay with it. I am wondering if a two stitch garter edge might work? That's my only idea, and it's not much...

Loving the snow!...though still a little sore from the clean-up...

smariek said...

It's a lovely scarf. Wonder if how it would come out if you chose a seed stitch border. Or no border, and then just crochet around the edges.