Saturday, June 13, 2009

Just Playing Around

Sometimes I think I enjoy just messing around with different stitches/stitch combinations more than anything else. I like seeing how they work, and what they might be capable of doing. In the dark blue swatch, I was experimenting with a cable combination. It's bi-laterally symmetrical, for what that is worth.



In the two lighter blue ones I was playing with a "bubble stitch" (at least that's what it's called in an old Harmony Guide). Someone had posted a picture that looked like this in a Ravelry forum and asked how it was done. After lots of good input, and some speculation that it might be a slip stitch pattern, someone else came up with directions that involved knitting into the stitch two rows below. I tried that, but it didn't seem "bubbly" enough. So I went digging around in the stitch dictionaries. The Harmony version has you knitting into the fifth row below, which I like better. I honestly don't know whether I will ever actually use this stitch in a project (though something is sort of saying "hat" to me). I did enjoy learning how to do it.

*******************
Then I spent a couple of hours this afternoon noodling with a demo of "Knit Visualizer", a software program for creating charts. Whoo Baby! It's expensive, but I really, really want it. I've been using "Stitch and Motif Maker", and that's a decent basic program. But the Knit Visualizer offers some flexibility and options that the other one just doesn't have. Time to start saving my pennies.

4 comments:

YarnThrower said...

I think this makes you a process knitter, though you already knew that. I think I may be one of the only product knitters out there. I enjoy the process, but I don't have the same appreciation for swatching that you do :-)

Anonymous said...

That bubble stitch, especially in the turquoise yarn, looks like a sock to me.

junior_goddess said...

The dark blue? I see 'dem bones'. I don't know why. And the bubbles-I'd love to see THEM in a multicolored yarn!

smariek said...

I like the bubble stitch. I saw that in a stitch dictionary and thought of using it for a sock.