Thursday, December 20, 2007

OK what the heck is Elite?

Elann has a yarn in their newsletter with a fiber content of "85 % Viscose Rayon/15% Elite". I know what Rayon is, but Elite??? What is is made of? How does it behave? Why is it there? Does it contribute to the "fabulous elasticity" of the yarn? Does that mean it's elastic? Then why not just say so? Jeesh! First Draylon and now this. How's a girl supposed to know what her yarn is made of?

Well enough of the mumble, mumble, grump, grump. I know that this fiber is nice wool and nothing but wool.



The color still isn't right. This picture seems to have a greenish tinge. Oh well, maybe you just had to be there. Take my word for it, the color is nicer than the picture looks.

********************
Almost every Thursday evening for the last 5-6 years, my friends Lu and Lavonne and I have gotten together to knit (and gossip). This time of year we exchange small gifts, and I usually try to find something knitterly. This year I found two of these litte pins at The Sow's Ear.





So cute! And they are handmade by a woman in Belmont, so I was buying locally. Which reminds me that I haven't had any of the really good Belmont Brie in a while..... Shopping for holiday groceries tomorrow, must buy Brie.

************************************
I've decided it's time to finish off the Christmas Meme once and for all. (it's gone on long enough.)

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Both (it's a long story...)

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Total commercialization of the season, that and the whole "Keep Christ in Christmas" thing (and the way the two seem to be intertwined). I could go on about that in about eight different ways, but I won't.

23. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? Completely eclectic.

24. What do/did you leave for Santa? Cookies. The cats would get at milk long before Santa had a chance. Well they probably would get at the cookies, too. It's been a while since we left anything..... There was at least one year when Santa had a really nice single malt Scotch, but he helped himself to that.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I don't have a clue about Elite, either. Dralon by any other name would smell as sweet?

gail said...

I also have never heard of Elite. Weird... I'm with you on eclectic Christmas tree. My former mother in law would decorate her trees in a theme every year--and she had a fake tree!! One year she had plain red balls and white fake birds. We always had wild eclectic trees, cut from the forest not the tree farm. Dad would cut off the lower branches and drill holes in the bare spots where he stuck the branches. creative, but the branches turned brown first!! We also hung decorated cookies on the tree. I used to put an angel on top of the tree, until husband #2 thought it was too religious. We compromised on a star. We open presents on Christmas morning. Only heathens open on Christmas eve in my family!! Heavens, when I was young Santa decorated the tree on Christmas even when we kids were asleep!! We left Santa some of the decorated cookies that were hung on the tree. What bothers me about Christmas?--only that there is never enough time to get ready and to make everything I want to give as presents. I ignore the commercialization--although I love decorations in stores and malls. Our family traditions are most important to us, as is the idea that we make presents in addition to purchasing them.

Cindy G said...

Oh wow, that mention of the tree with the red balls and white birds triggered a flashback. My aunt who for years had heavily flocked trees (really heavily), with sparkles. One year it was pink... And I in my youthful innocence thought it was the most elegant thing I had ever seen.

Cindy G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.