Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's that about a Badger? (and a short, unrelated review)

Do you mean to tell me that Bucky Badger is not globally recognized? No? Well I can't just plonk in a picture of the striding along UW mascot, because he is most decidedly copyrighted. So here's a link to a page that shows him in all his determined glory. (Who knew there was a wiki just for basketball? Not me, 'til I googled for images.) I'm honestly not much of a sports fan, but I just love the way he juts his lower lip out, throws back his shoulders and clenches his fists. There's a badger that's ready for some action.

*********************************

Complete change of topic. For some time now, I've been meaning to mention just how much I like Black Purl Magazine. It's still a fairly modest size, but has a wide, inclusive scope; showcasing needlework, including knitting, with a bent toward ethnic and/or traditional design. The current issue has a very nice roundtable discussion with six knitting designers (some familiar to me, others not) talking about their inspiration, passion and process. It's well worth reading.

Every issue includes several free patterns. Even though I don't crochet, I'm particularly charmed by Paloma Perra's little sheep, especially after reading her description of its part in Mexican New Year's celebrations. She's a frequent contributor, and her textile history lessons always appear to be well researched. The excellent Donna Druchnas has also been a regular (and is one of the designers featured in the round table). Her pattern this month is a little cell phone cozy based on Andean coin purses. It would be a great first project for someone who hasn't done stranded colorwork before. There are also patterns for a simple but lovely triangle lace shawl, and a scarf with Japanese characters for "peace (free from war)" and "peace of mind" worked in intarsia.

6 comments:

YarnThrower said...

Thanks for the info about Black Purl Magazine. I didn't know about it, though I really enjoy "paging" through the online magazines!

Anonymous said...

Is it only an email publication, or is there a print version? The website mentions print copies, but doesn't have information on how to subscribe to them. I'm an old-fashioned magazine reader...

Cindy G said...

As far as I know, it's still primarily online. There was a hard copy holiday edition put out, so that may be planned as an annual feature.

I "go both ways" re knitting reading. Lot's of time online, but I really love curling up in an armchair with a good book or magazine.

Anonymous said...

Bucky Badger may not be known worldwide -- heck, I didn't even know he had a first name! -- but Wisconsin is. When #1 son was studying in South Africa, he was asked by one of his flatmates, Charles, from some other African country, where he was from. Upon hearing, "Wisconsin," he replied, "They make cheese there, don't they?" What made it even more memorable for #1 son was that that day was some sort of festival at the university and all the foreign students were supposed to wear their native dress; Charles was resplendent in his native robes as he inquired about Wisconsin and cheese.

Leslie said...

What a cute little guy Bucky is! Attitude with a CAPITAL A all the way :)

Thanks for the info on Black Purl - I knew Kristin Nicholas had been featured and have been meaning to read it, but now shall definately make the time.

Molly Bee said...

What a great site-Black Purl! Thanks for the heads up.
There is a surprise for you on my site!