Friday, May 25, 2007

Proof that the rains came

Peonies outside



Peonies inside



I love those tight, hard, almost perfectly spherical buds. How can such an enormous explosion of petals burst out of them overnight? I love the extravagence of the flowers. I love the scent, which is heavy, almost-but not exactly-rose.

So despite their attractiveness to ants, and despite the flowers' predilection to shatter and drop those huge masses of petals in a heap on the table, I'll be bringing these in as long as the all too brief season lasts.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Our peonies aren't quite there yet. But they are wonderful when they're around!

Angie said...

I love to bring the peonies inside, too. The ants are a challenge but worth it. Your arrangement is lovely.

Cindy G said...

**G** thank you, my arrangements always consist of dropping things into a vase - sometimes they are more balanced than others... But with flowers this great it's hard to miss.

Elizabeth, hope to see you tomorrow!