Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Why, I Believe We Have Crochet Bobbles

I spent time with a crochet hook last night (and The Book and one of Gayle's handouts), and after some initial struggles (who knew I would be such a tight crocheter when I'm such a loose knitter), I managed to produce bumps on my knitting.



Admittedly, some of them are less than smooth, but they stand out nicely, and with a little practice I think I could have them looking good. I'm not sure this method is faster than knitting and turning, though for someone who already has crochet skills it might be.

OK, for anyone who is interested (Sandra?) here's my summary of one type of crochet bobble.

Knit up to the stitch where you want the bobble.
Poke your crochet hook into the center of that stitch. Slide the stitch off the knitting needle and pull a nice loose yarn loop through.
Yarn over the hook, poke it back into the middle of the knit stitch and pull a yarn loop through. (You could have fooled me, but according to Gayle's handout this is called a "single crochet".)
Make two more of those "single crochet" things (yarn over, poke, pull through), always poking into the original knit stitch.
(Make sure the loops aren't too tight. If they are, pull it all out and start again.)
Now you have, oh, seven loops of yarn over the top of your hook. A little yarn loop tunnel. Snag the working yarn with the business end of the hook and pull it through all seven.
(If you split the yarn or otherwise get hung up halfway through tunnel, back out the hook and try again. If necessary, try again. If everything is totally snarled, pull it all out and start over. Take consolation from the fact that pulling out crochet is much faster than picking back knitting.)
Once you have successfully completed the tunnel journey you will have one stitch on the crochet hook. Catch hold of the yarn (with the hook, of course) and pull it through this stitch (to fasten everything off). You now have one (new) stitch on the crochet hook.
Put that stitch onto your right hand knitting needle and proceed with your knitting as if it had never been interrupted (perhaps with a sigh of relief that you are now back on familiar territory, perhaps with a slight sense of triumph).

What? You want pictures? You seriously think I could handle a camera and a crochet hook at the same time? I haven't actually looked for one, but chances are very good that someone has already put up a YouTube video on this very subject. The internets are amazing.

2 comments:

junior_goddess said...

I did this instead of nupps on Swallowtail. Because I am lazy.

Sandra said...

THANK you! This is grat, and I'm going to have to try it. I've avoided bobbles and nupps becauce of the back and forth, but this I would do.
Very cool!